If you’re not familiar with this term, Ashley (above) breaks it down really well for the Huffington Post in THIS article. Essentially, being a Qualitarian means choosing to eat better quality foods exclusively. With that said, I hope you’ll give some of her healthy and tasty suggestions a try this holiday season. Bon Appetit!
- Sparkling water (4-6 ounces) with splash of Urban Moonshine bitters
- Enzymedica Digest Gold – take with your first bite of food, discretely, for added digestive power on contact.
- Raw goat and sheep’s milk cheese plate & organic cashew butter with organic apple & pear slices. Pair this with a signature drink (see two options below) or a glass of biodynamic red wine.
Cocktail: Organic vodka+ splash of Knudsen’s organic cranberry+ sprig of rosemary.
Mocktail: Harmless Harvest coconut water with+ ¼ cup organic pomegranate seeds+ sprig of rosemary.
Drink: Water with lemon or Ayala’s herbal waters.
- Oven-Free but beyond Tasty, Turkey!
You don’t need an oven, and will never regret your investment in 360 cookware (it’s what celeb chefs like Akasha Richmond swear by). The Qualitarian in me must point out that you should choose organic for all your ingredients especially the butter and broth or stock.
- Stuff’d ‘Shrooms
Did you know that mushrooms are a super supporter of our immune system? Indeed! So while alcohol, sugar, and some extras that you don’t normally have during the holidays chip away at your immune system’s soldiers, give them some mushrooms and your warriors will be back doing battle in no time. This stuffing recipe uses quinoa so it also works for the vegans, the gluten-free’s, the lactose intolerant and more among your guests. Ahhhh, crowd pleasing!
- Baked Brussels Sprouts. Vegan or not, we all need our veggies, and this one delivers divine holiday taste!
- Pair assortment of Fair Trade organic coffees & teas or revisit the digestifs above.
- Choco-Hemp truffles!
8 oz dark chocolate (Organic Fair Trade, 70% cacao or better), chopped
¼ cup Spectrum or Garden of Life organic coconut oil
1 tsp Frontier vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
¼ cup raw cacao powder (Essential Living Foods) in a shallow bowl or on large plate
1 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts in a shallow bowl or on large plate
In a double boiler, heat chocolate, oil, with 3 Tbsp of purified water stirring with a bamboo spoon, until just melted (no chunks but not runny or water rising to top of chocolate). Remove from heat. Blend in vanilla and salt. Transfer to a stainless steel 8-inch baking dish and refrigerate until mixture sets (about 2 hours). Line a 360 cookware baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a stainless steel melon baller, scoop one serving of mixture and roll it quickly through cacao and hemp hearts. Place on parchment paper and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Plate and serve.
For more Qualitarian recipes and food suggestions, head to Ashley’s site: www.AshleyKoffRD.com.